1900 Art Museum of Toronto Founded

  • The Grange, Grange Road., at head of John Street

    The Grange

    The Art Museum of Toronto was founded in 1900 by a group of private citizens that included artist George Reid. It was a natural outgrowth of the activities of the Ontario Society of Artists, Egerton Ryerson’s Educational Museum and individual art patrons. The museum's first home, the Grange, was willed to the Museum after the death of its owner, Goldwin Smith in 1910. The first formal exhibitions opened there in 1913 and on April 4, 1918 an opening was held for the first complete section of galleries. In 1919, the Museum was renamed the Art Gallery of Toronto, and subsequently the Art Gallery of Ontario in 1966.

    Photographer unknown

    Black and white photograph

    TPL.18

    arrow
    Black and white photo of two-storey brick house, four chimneys, wing at left side, glass room right.